Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Today is officially my first mother's day and I'm so excited about it!  The past few mother's days have been jaded with a mixture of hope and disappointment with our fertility issues.  I can't help but think about what truly constitutes a mother.  Is it the physical presence of a child you care for after birth?  Do you become a mother at conception?  Is it possible to be a mother before pregnancy?  This I know for sure: I've felt like a mother without a child for a very long time.  The only difference this year is that I have a baby inside me.  I also can't help but think of my friends and others who would like to conceive.  This day can be so difficult if you've not seen a simple line on a stick.  My love and understanding goes out to all these couples.  Don't lose patience and hope...

Plans for mother's day you ask?  I woke up to my dear husband holding a card and a gift bag.  I really wasn't anticipating anything and just the mention of me as a "mom" would have been present enough.  The card was so wonderful, Jesse is a great husband!  I wasn't expecting the tears but my hormones are still going nuts.  He generously gave me a massage gift card and a "Boppy" pillow that will help me stay comfy when I'm sleeping.  I must admit that it is so comfortable that I am using it right now, I highly recommend these gems, pregnant or not!  We enjoyed brunch with Jesse's mom at Doug's, they have incredible breakfast burritos!  My parents have been out of town for the last week in Washington, D.C.  Their flight gets in later tonight and they'll join us for a breakfast dinner at our house as soon as they can.  Annie suggested a breakfast dinner as we always used to make breakfast in bed for Mom when we were young.  The baby and I are looking forward to homemade waffles, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, and cheesecake!

To all the moms I know, baby or not, happy mother's day.  To my own mom: thank you for everything you've done for me throughout the years.  You're an incredible inspiration to me and I only hope to be able to offer my baby half the childhood you created for me.  I love you very much!

My wonderful new pillow!



My beautiful Mom


1 comment:

  1. You made me cry :) I am so happy for you, and can't wait for the journey to come :)

    ReplyDelete